Among hundreds of trends that come and go each year, some are just so incredibly useful that they not only stick around, but they also keep on getting more popular with time. Catios are one of these trends that are gaining popularity with pet parents across the globe.
As you probably might have guessed by the name, catios are patios for cats.
Like humans, cats too need regular interaction with the outside world. In the long run, lack of exposure to the outdoors can make indoor cats overly anxious and lethargic. We understand that it might not be possible for every pet parent to allow their cats to roam freely in their backyards. This is where catios come in.
They are designed in a way that allows indoor cats to be closer to the outdoors, without putting them at any risk. How simple or fancy you would like your catio to be, is totally up to you! Even the most basic structure would have an enclosed construction with mesh on all sides, connected to your home.
Smaller catios can be created by constructing an extension from a window while bigger ones are constructed by enclosing porches or on top of patios. Depending on your budget and availability of outdoor space, you can give your cat it’s very own area to relax.
Here are some catios that we love, for your inspiration! They range from simple constructions that you can DIY to more complicated structures that might require an extra set of professional hands.
1. A catio like this one from Catio Spaces proves that a simple extension from your window is enough for a small outdoor structure.
2. If you have a little extra space outdoors, use one of the window walls to make a multi-leveled catio like the one above.
3. This is a great example of a budget & space friendly horizontal catio, where your cat can stroll in and get some sun.
4. If you’ve got the space, consider putting in some grass in the catio to make it your cat’s favorite hangout spot.
5. If your cat has spent most of his life indoors, a window catio like this can be perfect for him to be introduced to the happenings of the outdoors without overwhelming him.
6. This catio is easy to construct on top of a porch, and you can make it as fancy as you’d like by adding details, toys or even colour to the main structure.
7. Does your cat like running around all over the place? Make a mini cat gym in your catio and let your cat release it’s pent up energy!
8. Put in a couple of chairs or even a bench in the catio, and make it a place where you can unwind with your feline buddies.
9. Minimalistic wooden catios are in trend this year. Add levels and some details but keep the add-ons to a minimum, for a tidy looking catio.
10. A well-made structure on the porch will not only make your cat happy but will also add to the overall aesthetics of your home. This catio lets your cat access it through your window, while you can enter through a screened door.
11. If you have a number of cats and plenty of space in your backyard, an airy enclosure like this one will allow them to sunbathe on chilly mornings.
12. Want your cat to have an elaborate catio that makes all the neighborhood cats super jealous? Build one like this in your backyard and connect it to your home’s window or pet flap via a mesh walkway tunnel.
If these beautiful catios are still not convincing enough, here are their 5 advantages:
* These controlled outdoor environments keep your cat safe from the bigger animals living in your backyard, while allowing your pets to get a breath of fresh air, each day.
* On the flipside, if your cat tends to attack smaller animals like birds and rabbits, giving your cat their own outdoor space, helps keep other tiny animals safe.
* If your cat has become sluggish from being indoors all day, catio spaces will allow him to relieve some anxiousness and be more active.
* Catios allow your cats to be closer to the outside world, without making you feel worried about their whereabouts.
An additional advantage of the catios for some of you cat owners is that your kitty just might refrain from shoving things off your shelves, because they’ll be too busy enjoying the sun in their new digs!
Himanshi lives in a Cyberpunk universe inside her head. When she's outside it, she wanders around the streets of the world, in search of the next furry animal to cuddle. When not designing or writing, she's out and about taking photographs of abandoned places and interesting faces.